27. Jan 2019
OnGea has system requirements on three levels:
- Requirements for a server/webspace running an OnGea System
- Requirements for browsers used to work with that OnGea System
- Requirements for smartphones to run the OnGea Mobile App
1. Requirements for a Server/Webspace Running an OnGea System
The OnGea System uses the open source CMS Drupal 8 as system core. So, to run an OnGea system, a server/webspace needs to fulfill all requirements for a Drupal 8 system, that can be found on http://www.drupal.org/docs/8/system-requirement.
You will need a working web server as it is provided in XAMPP (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XAMPP), including:
- Apache HTTP Server
- MySQL/ MariaDB Database
- PHP (version 7.1.10 or above)
OnGea needs quite a lot of resources. Make sure your web server is configured as follows:
- at least 2,5 gigabytes of free disk space
- PHP Version 7.1.10 or above, with
- image library
- mbstring (Multibyte String)
- PHP FastCGI
The following settings need to be made in the file php.ini:
- max_execution_time = 100
- memory_limit = 128
- post_max_size = 64m
- upload_max_filesize = 64m
2. Requirements for Browsers Used to Work with that OnGea System
We recommend to use a current Firefox version (version 60 or newer) when working with the OnGea system as an admin. Most other current browsers should work, too; but Firefox is what we used most to test the system. For printing export lists, we recommend Chrome (version 70 or newer), since it offers better printing functionality.
3. Requirements for Smartphones to Run the OnGea Mobile App
The OnGea Mobile App will run on Smartphones with the operating systems:
- Android 5 (or newer)
- iOS 8.0 (or newer)
It needs certain system permissions that need to be given on installation. Also, the OnGea Mobile App only works in connection with an OnGea System that delivers data to the app: Users of the OnGea Mobile App will need to have a user account on that OnGea System; they need to enter the URL of that OnGea System and their login data from that system to enter the OnGea Mobile App. And they need to be approved participants of at least one Activity in that OnGea System to be able to actually use the OnGea Mobile App.
Photo from the international exchange #YAfQRaV 2018 featuring Anbid Zaman, © Almut Elhardt.